Not just is there 5 types of essay questions in academic IELTS but there are 3 forms of Advantage Disadvantage essays
Perform some advantages outweigh the disadvantages?
Be sure you analyse the question well and then paraphrase it in the introduction. This sort of question asks about the pros and cons and an important word let me reveal outweigh“ that is“. The question asks if advantages are more powerful than the disadvantages so that you have to here give your opinion.
Some students just write on the benefits only but this is certainly a wrong approach and you can lose marks. The essay needs to have balance. The very first body paragraph might be in regards to the upside while the second body paragraph can be in regards to the downsides together with your opinion throughout the essay that is whole.
Lots of students fail to give their opinion in this particular essay, or maybe they just give their opinion briefly within the conclusion. Your situation needs to be clear through the essay.
1. Analyse the question well paraphrase it then. Write your opinion when you look at the thesis statement. 2. Make sure you state your opinion in the introduction, main body as well as the conclusion. 3. Give specific examples throughout the essay but be mindful of giving too much information. Ensure that it stays simple and do not overly complicate it. 4. Be sure the essay is balanced, not merely writing about advantages only.
Listed below are 2 possible structures for this type of task:
Note: Structures are just guidelines to help you plan your essay out, there isn’t any special magic structure that will get you a Band 7, there are many how to structure an essay.
Some individuals believe that consumption tax on food items is a good way to raise revenue for the government.
Talk about the pros and cons with this policy
This particular essay does not ask for the opinion, it is similar to a discussion essay and that means you want to write about advantages and disadvantages, you can observe that the question does not ask : Do you really think…? or would you agree or disagree…? / What will be your opinion ? Which means this is not asking a opinion that is direct.
First analyse the question and paraphrase it then. The essay needs to be well balanced just like in example 1 with explanations on how its an edge or disadvantage. Don’t just talk about advantages, give both sides within the essay. The conclusion is merely a directory of the true points which you built in the body paragraphs.
1. Analyse the question well then paraphrase it. 2. Give one illustration of the advantages in main body paragraph 1, after that give an example regarding the disadvantages in main body paragraph 2. 3. Do not give your personal opinion because the question does not ask because of it. 4. Give good examples through the entire essay but be careful of giving information that is too much. Ensure that it stays simple, be cautious about giving a lot of examples too. 5. Make sure the essay is balanced, not merely currently talking about advantages only.
Let me reveal a good structure for this sort of task:
These days with advances in technology more and more people are working from home.
Discuss the advantages and disadvantages for this and present your very own opinion
This essay type is very much like example 1, here you need to give your opinion and discuss the advantages and disadvantages, the main disimilarity compared to example 1 is the fact that it generally does not mention the word outweigh. The thing that is main watch out for may be the words Discuss and provide your personal opinion. Exactly like in example 1 you need to paraphrase the question, give a approach that is balanced great post to read the main body paragraphs and give your opinion in the introduction and again in the conclusion.
The examiner needs to see your opinion for the essay that is whole.
1. Analyse the question well paraphrase it then. 2. Give one example of the advantages in main body paragraph 1, after that provide an example of this disadvantages in main body paragraph 2. 3. Make sure you state your opinion when you look at the introduction, main body plus the conclusion. 4. Give specific examples within the essay but be cautious of giving information that is too much. Ensure that it it is simple. 5. Be sure the essay is balanced, not only currently talking about advantages only.
What structure can I use?
Structures are only ideas to help you plan out your essay , there isn’t any special magic structure that may allow you to get a high score. I will suggest 2 body paragraphs with this sort of essay you could use 3 body that is main if you want, no more than that.
- In main body paragraph 1 you are able to write on an advantage and explain it further, always don’t forget to give an example of the benefit. When possible write about the outcome regarding the advantage. Main body 2 is similar, write about one disadvantage with examples and details.
- You need to give your opinion into the introduction in the event that relevant question asks for the opinion. You may also make use of the main body paragraphs to back up your opinion. You need to rephrase your view within the conclusion also.
Key point to remember. Do not give way too many examples or you could go off track, adhere to one advantage and one disadvantage and talk about those. You haven’t got time for you to go into a lot of detail or into tangents, don’t try to impress the examiner with too much information.
Plan your essay well, put aside ten full minutes planning time, think about at the very least one supporting point for the topic sentence in each body paragraph that is main.